Dear Friends and Neighbors,
As the leaves fall and winter approaches, it’s time to look ahead to the 2020 legislative session. My fellow state lawmakers and I will be discussing several key issues that are very important to the people of the 25th District and the state. But, before I share more about the legislative issues I’m working on, I want to give a big thank you to everyone who reached out to me during the interim to share your concerns. I also want to highlight some of the great things happening locally.
Our communities have always been recognized for their great schools. Recently, some of these incredible schools have earned national recognition!
- National Unified Champion School: The Special Olympics honors the efforts of only 394 schools nationwide with this award. Two of the five schools chosen in Washington are located right here in the 25th District. Congratulations to Puyallup and Fife high schools! Additionally, Fife had the honor of being named as one of the Top 5 National Banner Unified Champion Schools by ESPN/Special Olympics, making it one of the top schools in the entire country. Congratulations to both schools!
- Top 5 Community College in the Nation: Pierce College has also been recognized nationally and was named as one of the Top 5 Community Colleges in the Nation by The Aspen Institute.
I am also very happy to say that we have five new schools currently being built in the Franklin Pierce School District, largely thanks to funds from the Legislature. These schools are set to be ready by the 2020-21 school year.
Finally, I’d like to thank the leadership of all our school districts. Their ingenuity and hard work are especially encouraging. And in many ways, such as the first-in-the-state all-electric school bus, we are leading the way!
While education will continue to be a top priority for me in the 2020 legislative session, there are several other issues on which I’ll be focused. My overall legislative theme for 2020 could be summed up in one word: AFFORDABILITY.
I’ve spoken with too many of our friends and neighbors who are struggling to make ends meet and the high cost living seems insurmountable.
I want you to know that I’ve taken our conversations to heart and am now putting them into action with legislation. As such, I will be sponsoring and supporting legislation on the following topics this session:
- Making childcare more affordable
- Making housing more affordable
- Making college more affordable
- Making prescription drugs more affordable
- Reducing government regulations
I will share more details on my proposals in a future update.
House Page Program
I also want to remind you of the ongoing House Page Program. Paging provides students ages 14-16 with a unique educational opportunity to participate in the legislative process. Being chosen as a page is a great honor. Applications are now open for the 2020 legislative session. Click here for more information and to apply. You’re also welcome to contact my office.
Town Hall Listening Session
Lastly, Rep. Kelly Chambers, Sen. Hans Zeiger, and I will be hosting a town hall listening session next month. We want to know what’s on your mind. This helps us make informed decisions in the Legislature. Please consider joining us. Details below:
WHEN: Thursday, Dec. 19, 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: Dacca Barn, 2820 54th Avenue East, Fife, WA 98424
We’ll be serving hot chocolate and some light snacks!
I Want to Hear from You
This will likely be my last email update before the 2020 session begins. My district office will be open through January 7. After that, my legislative assistant and I will transition to our Olympia office full time through the 2020 session. I’d love to hear from you and I care deeply about your opinions. So please reach out to me using the contact information below. Also, please let me know if you will be in Olympia while we’re in session. I would absolutely love to meet with you in person!
District Office: 101 South Meridian, Puyallup, WA 98371
District Phone: (253) 840-4523
Let’s make Washington more safe, more affordable, and more accountable.
It’s an honor serving you!